I Dunno, But...

Respect the game. That's what it's about around here. Sports are more than stats. While opinions (funny & serious) and reviews of performances are posted, we discuss the business that sets the stage, the media that broadcasts and the history that engulfs. Most who comment on the game pick and choose based on media-friendliness, race and/or antics. We lay down more. We came from many of the same communities and played with many of the same athletes. It's about time the truth be told...

Friday, December 09, 2005

A Poor Taste in My Mouth

not written in a while, but there is good reason for that. Quite frankly, I have been pissed off about the way my favorite teams have conducted themselves. And I’m talking about the Dallas Cowboys and the Texas Rangers.

I do root for the Dallas Stars and they are playing great hockey, but it is hard to catch their games. It’s crazy because I get 800 channels at home, but somehow OLN is not one of them, and my cable provider chooses not to carry a hockey passage. I want to watch hockey but the opportunity is not really there.

The Cowboys have been driving me up a wall. I love Bill Parcells and I think the Cowboys play hard for him, but there are a lot of times when he chooses not to go for the knockout punch. It seems that sometimes, especially in a tight game, he just wants to keep it close and rely on the kicking game (different story I will get to soon) to win games. But we all know that you have to put teams away any chance you get. I went to USC and have watched them leave no mercy. That is the definition of a truly great team – any chance you get to end a game, you do it. There is no reason to mess around.

Now to the kicking game. For the last two years, I have been calling for Billy Cundiff’s head. He simply misses to many crucial kicks. I was very happy when he got cut during the preseason, but I was not at all pleased when Jose Cortez was brought in. He single-handedly lost two games by missing kicks against the Redskins and Seahawks, and he forced the Cowboys to go to overtime against the Giants by missing another kick. This finally cost him his job and a rookie was signed. He lasted one week, missed a kick, and was cut. He was there so briefly that I don’t even remember his name. And you know what the Cowboys did next. Well, they brought back Billy Cundiff who turned around and missed a potential game winner against Denver. The Cowboys should have 3 more wins right now and be the #1 seed going into the playoffs. Instead they are now tied for the #6 seed still trying to catch the Giants. This is a team with no confidence in the kicking game. And what’s worse is that their coach wants to rely on the kicking game. That drives me nuts. And how come, in the NFL, the Cowboys can’t get a good kicker. I love the Cowboys and still think they have a chance at the Super Bowl, but my patience is thinning.

And while we are discussing the NFL, I don’t think the Colts will end up undefeated. I think the Chargers are a great team and are my pick to knock them off. The big question, at least to me will be whether they do it during the regular season or in the playoffs. For Indy’s sake they better hope it’s during the regular season because they will still have homefield advantage in the playoffs and will not lose to them twice. But mark my words, the Chargers will win one of those games. And if it’s in the playoffs, they will end up being the Super Bowl Champions.

I have a lot more to write, but I have to run. I will finish the rest of my thoughts and write about the Rangers and the World Cup sometime this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home