I Dunno, But...

Respect the game. That's what it's about around here. Sports are more than stats. While opinions (funny & serious) and reviews of performances are posted, we discuss the business that sets the stage, the media that broadcasts and the history that engulfs. Most who comment on the game pick and choose based on media-friendliness, race and/or antics. We lay down more. We came from many of the same communities and played with many of the same athletes. It's about time the truth be told...

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Sports Ramblings...

9th wonder here.

I do not really have a specific issue to address in the world of sports at this moment. But I do have several issues I would love to comment on. Like the notoriousjtb said, these are my thoughts and my thoughts alone. Feel free to love them or hate them.

On the front page of ESPN.com there is an article devoted to West Virgina player Mike Gansey. As you all know from my first post I attend St. Bonaventure University. Gansey was a part of the team that voted to not play the final two games of the 2002-2003 season. That season of course involved the scandal with Jamil Terell who was not eligible to play for the Bonnies. Welding certificates, national ridicule...you know the rest of the story.

I'm glad to see that he is doing well and I'm glad to know that he still talks to former teammates from Bonaventure.

And I'm even happier that he said that he does not regret the decision he made.

The players were right for doing what they did. Their job is to play basketball with the idea that the university is looking out for them and their interests. The university did not hold up their end of the bargain so the players don't have to hold up theirs.

Usually I like to debate and hear other opinions on this issue, but I'm right on this one. No question about it.

What do people mean when they say "playing the game the way it was meant to be played"? I didn't realize that there wasn't any room for expansion and/or change. I guess critics of the NBA would still have players shooting two-hand jumpers, free throws underhanded, and would have the dunk banned.

Speaking of which, why are so many people critical of players who dunk a lot, but want players to shoot more high percentage shots?

The dunk is as high percentage as it gets.

This steriod issue is not going to go away for a long time, but I hope folks get one thing clear: steriods was not illegal in baseball until last year. You can't change the past, but you can fix the present and possibly the future. Get over it.

By the way, since everyone has been getting on Barry Bonds back about this steriod thing (which he says he "mistakenly" took in 2000, which means that if he was on the cream it was for only 3 plus years...He's STILL a hall of famer excluding those years), I would like to point out that last season, when the policy was implemented, these were Bonds's numbers: .362, 45 HR's, 101 RBI's, and 232 walks.

He is the greatest baseball player of this era. Face it.

Am I the only one who sees the blatant racism in last night's sportsnation poll question? (Would baseball be better off without Barry Bonds?)

Here's a quote by Dan Shanoff from the Page 2's Daily Quickie, which sums up my feelings on Bonds: "...when the media can break the will of someone as strong as Bonds, that's a unique achievement -- and not something to be proud of. Congratulations! We've driven the era's best baseball player out of the game."

I could not have said it better myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home